1. Technology

Recording in Pro Tools, mixing in Logic?

By March 21, 2010

How many of you are using Pro Tools to track and Logic to mix? I've been hearing from some engineers about this dual-software process, but didn't give it much thought until I tried it. I really enjoyed Logic's flexibility, and the on-board effects sounded fantastic.

So, what's your take? I'm very impressed with the fact I can take Logic anywhere without any equipment, but I can't live without some of my usual Pro Tools plug-ins. Please feel free to share your work that you've done with this approach, too!
Comments
March 21, 2010 at 10:24 am
(1) Blair says:

I do….I hate digidesign with a passion, and Logic also bounces in non-real time. Have templates setup in both so its a simple drag and drop. Plus the stock plugins sound better in Logic. Would completely track in Logic if it saw all the channels on the HD system.

March 24, 2010 at 1:27 pm
(2) David Daw says:

I track most of my projects with several live studio musicians & multiple vocalists, so coming from a 24 track analogue background, I found the upper-end ProTools systems out of my price range, so I bought an Alesis HD 24 after I couldn’t find 1″ tape for my Fostex G24S. I now have 2 – HD24′s and find them amazingly stable with great sound quality. I can record up to 48 tracks at the same time with no latency issues and then I dump all the 24 bit wave files over into my ProTools LE – Digi 002 system on a 2 Ghz core duo intel iMac via the Alesis Fireport 1394 to edit – and mix using a 24 motorized Tascam US-2400 controller. Personally, I love mixing in ProTools. I am also a huge fan of Melodyne Studio – in my view the best software tool for any studio! I also could not live without my Waves and many M-Audio plug-ins.

April 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm
(3) Brian C. says:

I’m a Logic guy first and foremost. After I got over the learning curve things just clicked for me. I bought the M Audio Fast Track Pro a few months ago just to play around with M-Powered PT. My only gripe about Logic is I want to display a fullscreen waveform of a track without going into the Sample Editor.

I too hate Digi because it is the Big Dog. Just out of principle more than anything else. I’m sure if Logic were the Big Dog I’d stay away from it too.

I had stayed away from PT ever since 2004 when you could still download a free 8 track limit version. I just did not like it at all. I believe their hardware is vastly overpriced. I have an 8 core Mac Pro with 12 GB of RAM. I doubt I will ever be able to bring it to its knees. I believe Digi justifies its high equipment prices with their line of “PT is the world standard DAW.” Yada yada yada. Overpriced. Period. It’s the pilot not the plane.

All that being said I think it’s important to have at least a working knowledge of PT.

April 11, 2010 at 11:29 am
(4) Ben Wentworth says:

I agree with all these comments. I used PTs in college and I just got real fed up with the proprietary hardware.

It’s overpriced and my mbox mini 2 which I bought to mix my HD school work with(gotta love having to downsize on the LE systm because of tracklimits!)

I waited a year for the snow leopard PT update.

Now I just keep it simple. Just logic and my mac. Still use the mbox but it kernal panic’s (like windows blue screen of death) my mac nearly every time I shut down my recording software after a session.

Weird right?

Sorry digidesign you suck.

Went logic, won’t go back.

Thanks for all the headaches while in school, I’ll be sticking with my mac and logic from now on.

Would really love it if I could get the apogee duet or even the solo and ditch my mbox mini 2, but alas not until I get a job again (I just relocated to NYC/Brooklyn)

logic > protools

Because of the little things (hardware, track limits, mac compabilty issues and lack of timely updates etc)

oh! And I almost forgot! The built I’m guitar amp emulating software has freed me from amp micin. I’m sure pt has caught up but it didn’t come with much when I was using it. Logic comes with a lot of tools, I haven’t needed to buy a plug in yet! And I don’t even have logic pro 9 yet, just express 8 and it still kicks protools ass in my opinion :)

cheers, love keeping up with this blog

first time poster :)
-Ben Wentworth

May 12, 2010 at 2:58 pm
(5) David Weiner says:

I have an Mbox 2 Mini that requires you install the entire Pro Tools LE application just to use it. I use Logic Pro 9 with it, though, so Pro Tools LE is effectively a multi-hundred MB hardware driver.

The Digidesign drivers and software is buggy, and causes all kinds of weirdness on my system. Then trying to easily find the latest updates (when they finally arrive) is a small nightmare. Logic on the other hand is updated regularly and is very closely aligned with the Mac hardware I run it on, so it’s obviously going to be much more stable.

I think Pro Tools is best for huge multitracking setups and audio editing. It seems to be really meant to emulate traditional tape recording, as opposed to Logic, which I think is much more well-rounded in terms of composing, sequencing, and audio editing and recording. For a small studio setup, Logic is much, much better, especially if you’re a composer. That being said, if you’re working in large studios and regularly recording bands, you need to have a firm grasp of Pro Tools, since (like it or not) it’s the industry standard.

May 22, 2012 at 7:58 pm
(6) alskeng says:

pro tools sucks at mixing, but it has it edge on editing so ill agree on getting the new pro tool 9 or 10, its ready to go without no exes baggae. so edit in pro tools and mix in logic!!! thats the right way yo